¡Ombligo!

Thursday, April 28, 2005

 

I never was first chair.


violin
Originally uploaded by Atreau.
When I was little I played violin in the school orchestra but I never was first chair.

That distinction went to this boy who got private lessons since he was in the womb. I remember how my Orchestra teacher would praise him while I got yelled at often and vicious looks when my bow would screech.

Anyhow, Mr. First Chair Violin is on trial this week for molesting one of his students. While I was busy in my non-first chair life, he became a teacher.

My Mom often likes to bring up the fact that I never took to the violin. Why would I have? I wanted to play CELLO!!!
Since I had to walk a mile home every day she didn't want me to ruin a cello so I got stuck with the violin. So, I'd refuse to practice (another thing she still mentions to this day) and never played the violin again.

Mind you, nobody ever mentions why Sar who was Ms. First Chair Clarinet isn't freakin' "The New Kenny G!"

We can't all be first chair violin players in this world!

Comments:
I did not know you played the violin!

My son plays the violin and has a similar story. While in high school, he was a member of a prestigous private orchestra. They toured Europe and had concerts at home. He was second violinist and always sat in the back. As his mother, I had other sights in mind and wanted him to 'move up.'

When he was chosen to go to college, he reminded me that what was important was that he played the violin in an orchestra, not where he sat, which seemed to have little, if any relevance, to the college committee. And he had to remind me, that (as I ate humble pie) that only two other students in that orchestra besides him were chosen to attend Ivy League Universitys, none of whom were first chair!

Thanks for sharing this story, sand!
 
I love the sound of the violins.
 
I played viola and I was always second chair, except when I pissed off the conductor by not selling enough popcorn and flower bulbs for the orchestra fundraiser, and from then until I quit I was third chair. I, too, yearned to play the cello but they never let me switch because of the scarcity of viola players.
 
Even my orchestra teacher begged me to play cello because of my long fingers but my Mom said no. I wish I had taken the opportunity to play violin more seriously. Strings have and will always be my favorite section.

Thank You for sharing B!

Oh Keeter, we could have been like Bond without the 2nd violin or cello. Maybe we can get BritMargy to join our band.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   February 2007   March 2007   May 2007   June 2007   July 2007