¡Ombligo!

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

 

Datura Noir

Datura Noir


I was going over decants that I haven't worn in a while and found Datura Noir. It's been ages since I wore it last and I had forgotten what it smelled like.

Aedes describes Datura Noir as a captivating composition is obtained from myrrh, bitter almond, tonka bean and musk. The vibrant touch is given by a blend of Chinese osmanthus, heliotrope, mandarin, lemon flower and tuberose.

The soft and powdery character of the fragrance is suggested through sumptuous vanilla, coconut oil and apricot. The almost narcotic, intoxicating mix gives Datura Noir its exceptional quality.

Sounds nice right? The sad thing is that it opens up rather medicinal on me, like some gross smelling cough syrup that's heavy and thick. The bitter almond seems to take over the entire fragrance for a while. If this were a toasted almond scent, that would be a whole other story but bitter almond - blech! Then it seems to get a bit sweet with a rather pretty tuberose. It's this scent that I'm in love with. I'll use the blow dryer next time to speed up the drydown of this fragrance!

This is a wonderful warm weather fragrance because it seems to be a bit cold, you know when you eat ice cube chocolates and you feel like they are cool (temperature wise, not cultural - although they are the best chocolates ever!) even though they aren't. That's the type of feeling that Datura Noir gives, like a cool feeling - as if you're running an ice cube over your skin. The staying power in this fragrance is incredible and a little goes a long way.

Datura Noir retails for $92/1.7 oz and is sold through Aedes and Barneys.

Comments:
I really don't like sweet almondy floral scents for the most part, but I make an exception for this one, because it is so dang good. I always think of it as super-romantic. I call it my "night-time terrace" scent. Ooh, I want to wear it again.
 
I like Datura Noir, but prefer the very similar KM Osmanthus. (Heresy!!)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   February 2007   March 2007   May 2007   June 2007   July 2007